Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Witcher 2 - 1st Boss Fight Kayran Strategy


On PC. Hard Difficulty.

So to peeps wondering what I have been up to, well.
First, studying ASP.NET for my assignment because I sux at it.
Second, playing games because I got bored doing my assignment.

I have already completed the game once in Normal difficulty as the Hard difficulty caught me by surprised a few times unlike The Witcher Enhanced Edition which was fairly easy but enjoyable.
This game however will take some time for players to adapt as it is quite realistic (which I like!) like playing game on Hardcore mode.

Anyway, not about to talk about the game as a whole yet as I have not tried Iorveth's path. I completed it on Roche's path.

Some people had difficulty with their first boss fight (and some encounters I believe) but I would say that it is fairly easy once you get the timing right. Monster hunting helped a lot on my part XD
So if you happen to be a Monster Hunter, well, it should be easier for you just without the evade immunity.


So what do you need to do in order to prepare for this boss?
  1. Adapt to the game, seriously. You just need a bit of practice.
  2. The Mongoose potion is purely optional. As long as you do not get close to the middle you will not get poisoned at all. But I always prefer better safer than sorry :P
    Using Swallow or Tawny Owl are also optional. I would use Swallow though just in case I need to regen.
  3. Do not get the Kayran Trap. Waste of money.
  4. The basic Yrden sign and Quen sign is all you need. You can upgrade them if you wish depending on your playing style. I rely more on Quen personally.

If you have watched my video, the strategy for the Kayran is simple.
  1. Avoid it's attacks and trap the tentacles one at a time starting from our left with Yrden and chop the Orange Orb with strong blows (right mouse button).
    *Do not chop the middle 2 main tentacles as it does not work.
    If you have problem avoiding the attacks, this is where Quen comes in handy as it absorbs damage for you.
    I usually cast it every time I have to engage so it had somehow became a habit.
  2. Every time 1 tentacle is chopped it will throw a tantrum. Most of the tantrum attacks occurs in the middle and or on the right side.
    Again; Avoid.
  3. Once both tentacles on the left are down, get rid of 1 more (that makes it the 3rd tentacle) on the right side. Avoid the attacks and move towards your screen slightly so you can catch a ride on the tentacles via QTE (RIGHT CLICK).
  4. While riding, mash LEFT CLICK until it is done and wait for the QTE signaling for SPACEBAR.
  5. Once you have landed, run towards the make-shift ramp, watch out for flying rocks and play a bit of timing game with its tentacles (again), run towards the edge of the ramp and a cut scene will follow signalling the end of the Kayran.

Some things to take notice.
  1. If you do not see your QTE at all, try mashing the buttons in order. From what I know, it is fixed till now. Else, lower your graphics settings and it should appear. This seems to happen for some players due to graphic lag issues.
    In my video I got hit around twice due to lag while Fraps was recording and splitting the file.
    This game is very graphic demanding after all.
  2. Sometimes while you run towards the ramp, instead of the tentacles trying to slap you, they will continue to throw rocks at you. I had personally encountered this situation twice already.
    If you are lucky you can still run towards the edge of the ramp. If not, well, just reload your game and it shouldn't trouble you the same way again. Works for me.

Well, I hope this small guide would help for players who still get stucked playing this game for the first time.

Hmm, come to think of it, this seems to be my first boss fight guide.
Hope you guys understood the crap I typed.

Anyway, have fun peeps!

2 comments:

  1. my laptop spec is low and attacking i cant keep my rapid left mouse button click to fill the bar even on easy any suggestion, other buy a better laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are a few ways to try first.

    1. Do a graphics driver update for your laptop's GFX if there is one.

    2. Set every single graphic settings for your game manually to the lowest. Whatever can be switched off, off it. This includes lowering to the lowest resolution.

    A better suggestion would be, save up and get your self a DIY desktop computer instead.

    Laptops are generally lower spec-ed than desktops.

    Else just aim for a gaming laptop but I would still advise you to get a DIY gaming desktop.

    ReplyDelete